Google Assistant is getting a new helper called ‘Quick Phrases’ which aims to improve your quality of life. When enabled, Google Assistant will remain in standby mode to detect voice commands. With Quick Phrases, you can disable alarms, timer, and answer incoming calls without saying the ‘Hey Google’ hotword.
Dismissing Alarms and Calls Not saying ‘Hey Google’
Once available, you can try Quick Phrases by enabling it from Auxiliary Settings. As of now, you can use Quick Phrases to stop or tease alarms and timers and answer or reject incoming calls. Check out the new Quick Phrases toggles, courtesy of XDA-Developers:
As you can see in the image below, there is a new prompt that reminds you to say the word ‘Answer’ or ‘Stop’ after enabling Quick Phrases.
XDA’s Mishaal Rahman saw the feature on Pixel 3 XL running the latest Android 12 beta with Google app version 220.127.116.11. We also checked out Pixel 3 XL running the latest Android 12 beta with Google app beta version 18.104.22.168 (it was the latest update here) and the feature was not available on my end.
Auxiliary Quick Phrases: Full List of Orders
According to a separate report from 9to5Google, Google is also working on adding Quick Phrases support to many features. However, these seem to be only available on other Google Assistant devices like smart displays and smart speakers. You can check out the full list below:
- Alarm set: “Set alarm for 7 am”
- Cancel alarm: “Cancel alarm”
- Display alarms: “What time is my alarm set?”
- Send broadcasts: “Send broadcast”
- Answer calls: “Answer” & “Decline”
- Ask about time: “What time is it?”
- Ask about the weather: “What’s the weather like?”
- Turn off the lights on and off: “Turn the lights on”
- Turn lights up & down: “Increase brightness”
- Volume control: “Turn volume”
- Pause and resume with music: “Pause the music”
- Skip tracks: “Skip this song”
- Set timers: “Set timer for 2 minutes”
- Cancel timers: “Cancel timer”
- Pause and restart timers: “Pause the timer”
- Reset timer: “Reset timer”
- Display timer: “How much time is left?”
- Reminders: “Create a reminder”
- Family notes: “Create a family note”
So you will no longer have to shout Hey Google or Ok Google before the list of tasks listed above.
Featured Image Courtesy: XDA-Developers